While link building is one of the premier ways to increase rankings and thus funnel organic traffic, there are also free strategies you can use top garner targeted traffic from other sources than the SERPs..
- Article marketing. While mass article marketing brings in bulk links, you can also concentrate on one or two of the more highly visible directories and produce some carefully keyword optimized, informational pieces which you can then promote for ranking on the SERPs independently, attracting secondary traffic as visitors read the article and click through to your site. The important thing here is top of the line copywriting – cheap ‘SEO’ articles won’t deliver the thru traffic to your website.
- Social networking. If you can establish a Facebook presence or acquire a Twitter following, you have a good chance of attracting extremely focused, consumer driven traffic that could convert very well. The same goes for any social site where people go to find advice and information on products and services. Be careful and kept the sales pitch ultra soft – social users hate the hard sell.
- Videos. Video marketing is one of the fastest growing ways to create interest in your product or service and bring in targeted consumers who are ready to plunk their money down. You can make videos yourself and put them on YouTube (several people have successfully built a brand and secured lucrative advertising deals there) or choose to pay for a targeted campaign run by professionals – your call.
- Forums. Becoming a driving force and voice of wisdom on a forum is a terrific way to increase traffic to your site – other users say ‘wow, that person really knows their stuff’ and you benefit.
- Blogs. Offer to guest blog on prominent blogs in exchange for a link back. They get free content, you get your link and traffic. It’s that simple! (Of course, make sure you deliver only the best or you’ll never be asked back…)
While paying for a good SEO campaign is the most sure way to create a solid sales funnel that delivers predictable results, you can use the above tips to do a little work on your end to promote your site and get extra customers onto your landing pages.
Be sure top track the results of your various campaigns, and run split tests to see what works in your niche and what doesn’t.