Here are top ten things that you should know about keywords to increase your site’s ranking in search engines. All the factors are pertaining to Google. Since Google has 80% of the market share and a search engine with the most stringent ranking algorithm, most of the factors discussed below will be applicable to other search engines too.
1. When you are selecting your domain name make sure to find a name that will contain your main keyword in it. As much as possible try to start your domain name with the keyword directly unless you need to add filler words when the desired domain names are not available.
2. When you have the keywords in the URL, make them appear as the starting words rather than pushing them to the rear end of the URL.
3. Your title tag must contain your keywords however, do not over stuff your title tag with too many keywords. Ideal length of the title tags suggested is 50 to 60 characters.
4. When you are using description meta tag, make sure that your keyword features in the description. However, the description itself should be relevant to the page it is representing.
5. While using keywords in the body of the content make sure again that it is not over done. Distribute the keywords in a natural fashion. Keyword stuffing will irritate the human user and it will also set spam flags off when the search engine’s spiders crawls your website. It is suggested that the over all density of keywords should be limited to a maximum of 20%. Anything over this figure can be detrimental to your website. Your website can be reported for spam. To avoid unnecessary trouble with the big brother play it down a bit. However, it has been noticed that the keyword density threshold varies from topic to topic. However, we don’t have any clear figures from any of the search engines. So to be on the safer side it would be best to keep it to a maximum of 20%.
6. Keywords in the Headings is considered helpful. Use them in H1, H2 and H3 tags to get added advantage.
7. When you are using keyword phrases that are longer than 2 words, keep the keywords as close as possible. Split them only when you cannot have a natural flow of text.
8. When inserting keywords try to make the first appearance of the keywords in the first three lines of the text. Let the keywords not be buried deep down in the text.
9. Use keywords in your alt text.
10. When you are linking to the internal pages insert keywords as your anchor text instead of random words such as “More”, “Click here”, etc.
These are just a few tips with regard to the usage of keywords effectively in your website to get better ranking for your website. You must remember that this also will not suffice, there are other optimization strategies that should go hand in hand with the above tips.