Have you done everything you know to do, but your site is still struggling? Have you built a site with great content that showcases all you have to offer and appears to be popular and highly viewed, but that success isn’t translating to real world sales? Do you get a lot of traffic but find that your site still isn’t making money, or at least enough to be truly viable? If that is the case, you need to take action, unless you like making less money than you could if things were done just a little bit different. Fortunately, we have 5 steps that will help you turn online success into what is potentially more conversions.
1. Content is king . Actually we may as well say it is king, queen and the rest of the royals, because content is everything now! Make sure your headlines and subheadings grab attention as well as employ sold optimization. When someone is skimming your page, they read the headlines and subheads, if you can grab their interest, they’ll stick around and read what falls in between those headers and subheaders. If not, it’s see ya’ later baby!
Your content should be to the point and optimized for your main and long tail keywords. Don’t just think you can slap any old thing up and get hits. It may provide an initial burst, but if people find your textual content is garbage they will not order from you, they will not come back and they will not recommend you. They may even tell their associates to avoid you. That isn’t even getting into the smackdown the SERPs will lay down on you. Quality in, quality first and quality will follow.
2. Links play a major role in not only getting traffic but getting the right traffic. There is a difference between traffic and the right traffic. If you have high quality links to establish your site as valuable and relevant you will be ranked higher. Directory submissions can help if you find a niche and interlink your stuff together and always provide link-backs to your site. Article submission sites have never fully regained their value after the Panda update so don’t worry about these too much. Sites like HubPages and Squidoo which held their value are much more worth exploring than the rotting carcasses of Helium or Yahoo Voices.
3. PPC. Advertising works – but only if you do it right. Work out a realistic budget, create bang up ads, split test, tweak and split test again, and for goodness sakes target effectively so you don’t waste your money. PPC can be either a great tool or a horrible money pit. Do it right and you’ll profit. Do it wrong and you’ll kick the cat for three days straight.
4. Talk about what you can do for people instead of hitting them with non-stop sales pitches about how great your product is. They don’t care if it is made of 100 swan down – they want to know if it will keep them warm or not – that is the real key. Tell them what the benefits are instead of the features. Too often, people take that as a means of masking the fact something is a lesser product. Give them the benefits of your product instead and they will be motivated to buy your product because they feel that it meets a need in their life. Try the hard sell and you’ll see that things aren’t going to well. It’s easier to click out of a tab than it is to hangup the phone – and people will do it.
5. Promote like there is no tomorrow! Make use of a blog, press releases, social networks – do everything you can to increase traffic from targeted locations where people are interested in what you have to say. The more places you pop up, the more attention people start paying to you. The more attention you get, the more conversions you will get. have a presence everywhere, but focus the bulk of your energies where you are getting the best results.